- 1 3-ounce package orange-flavor gelatin
- 1 2-layer-size package white cake mix
- 1 4-serving-size package cheesecake instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 1 1/4 cups orange juice
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 recipe Cream Pop Frosting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line twenty-seven 2 1/2 inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. Set aside 2 teaspoons of the gelatin for the Cream Pop Frosting. In a mixing bowl beat the remaining gelatin, the cake mix, pudding mix, orange juice, eggs, oil, and vanilla.
Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full. Use the back of a spoon to smooth out batter in cups.
Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool completely on wire racks.
Cream Pop Frosting
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, divided
- 5 1/2 to 6 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange gelatin from the cupcakes
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
In a large mixing bowl beat butter, cream cheese, and 2 teaspoons vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until frosting reaches spreading consistency.
Place one-fourth of the frosting in a separate bowl; beat in addition 1/4 teaspoon vanilla. To the remaining bowl of cream cheese frosting add the reserved orange gelatin from the cupcakes and finely shredded orange peel. If desired, add a few drops orange food coloring. Beat to combine.
Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Cupcakes