This is the best lasagna I have ever had! I love it! It takes a little while, but it is so worth the work.
- 9 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casing removed
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, basil, fennel and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
In a small bowl, combine the egg, ricotta cheese, parsley and salt. Drain noodles and rinse in cold water. Spread 1 cup meat sauce in a 9in. x 13 in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with three noodles, 2 cups meat sauce, 2/3 cup ricotta cheese mixture, 2/3 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup parmesan. Repeat layers twice.
Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160 degrees. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Recipe and Photo from Taste of Home Special Issue